What is Minds in Motion?
Minds in Motion is a program for people living with early to mid-stage Alzheimer’s disease or other dementias and their care partners.
While there is currently no cure for the Alzheimer’s disease and other similar dementias, research shows that combining physical activity, and mental and social stimulation may slow the disease progression. Minds in Motion brings together people with dementia and their care partners in a way that is not influenced by illness.
How the program works:
- A two hour/week program that runs for eight consecutive weeks
- Location varies per region, and could be held in a community recreation centre, Older Adult Centre or similar community-based multi-service centre
- The program combines
- 45 to 60 minutes of physical activity led by a trained physical activity program leaders
- 45 to 60 minutes of mentally stimulating activities facilitated by an Alzheimer Society program staff and volunteers
- Light healthy refreshments provided during programming
- A maximum of 11 couples, or 22 participants, enrolled in each eight-week program
- Participant couples pay a registration fee of approximately $40 (fees may vary by community).
The program was developed in British Columbia and results indicate improved physical and mental health for both the person with dementia and his or her care partner. Specifically:
For the person with dementia:
- Improved balance, mobility, flexibility, and alertness
- Increased confidence, and comfort with their own situation.
For the care partners:
- An opportunity to focus on their own health, rather than focusing exclusively on the needs of the person they are caring for
- Mutual support and learning of coping strategies from other care partners
- Seeing the person they are caring for enjoying themselves.
And both the person with dementia and the care partner can benefit from:
- Sharpened mental functioning, sometimes lasting 2-3 days
- Reduced sense of isolation
- A great environment that helps establish new friendships with others who are living the same experiences.
*Minds in Motion is not a fitness program, a social recreation program or a drop-in program.