Volunteer Companion Program (VCP)
The Volunteer Companion Program allows for short-term relief for caregivers while providing companionship, socialization and supervision to person with Alzheimer's disease or related dementias in their own home.
Volunteer Companions will be matched together based upon personal interests, common backgrounds and availability.
"I think this program is great! It is good for my mom to see other people., When you deal with this day in and day out, you need a break. I know I can plan something for Tuesday afternoons." - Caregiver in Oxford County.
An assessment will determine eligibility. Once accepted, the Volunteer Coordinator will meet with the family and begin the steps necessary to become part of the program. The Volunteer Companion Program is offered to those persons living within Windsor and Essex County.
Hours of Service
Volunteer Companions meet once a week for two hours. Visits are scheduled Monday-Saturday between 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m..
This program is at no cost to the Client/Care Partner.
Volunteer Companions are very caring, dedicated, skilled people who choose to give their time to improve the quality of life for people living with Alzheimer's disease or related dementia.
Volunteer Companions do what ordinary friends like to do: reminisce, take part in a favourite hobby, create a craft, listen to music, play a game or take a walk together. The Coordinator will help develop an 'activity plan' that suits everyone.
Volunteer Companions will have gone through our agency orientation and training process before being matched with a client.
The Alzheimer Society of Windsor & Essex County will:
- Introduce you to a volunteer with similar interests.
- Help find appropriate activities.
- Meet with you in you home to assess your situation, determine appropriateness for the program and answer your questions.
- Maintain ongoing communication with Care Partners throughout program participation.
- Adequately screen volunteers for you protection (police record & reference checks, interviews, training sessions and ongoing monitoring of the match).
Last Updated: 11/08/2017