ALZHEIMER SOCIETY OF ONTARIO
Alzheimer Society of Ontario (“ASO” or “we” or “our” or “us”) recognizes the importance of your right to privacy and wants you to be familiar with how we collect, use and disclose any personal information that individually identifies you (e.g. name, phone number, e-mail address).
1. What Personal Information do we collect?
Personal information means any information about an identifiable individual. The types of personal information that we may collect include, but is not limited to:
- your name;
- your personal address;
- your personal phone number;
- credit card information or cheque;
- your personal e-mail address;
- photos and videos;
- personal information you give us that we did not request (such as personal information you voluntarily put into an email to us or when share your experience with us on our Site).
2. Purposes for Collecting Your Personal Information
We collect, use and disclose your personal information in order to provide you with our Services. We also collect, use and disclose your personal information to comply with legal and regulatory requirements and as otherwise may be permitted or required by applicable laws. We will only use the personal information that we collect for the purposes for which it was collected. We collect your personal information for the following purposes:
- to provide you with our Services;
- to establish and maintain our relationship with you;
- to receive and process your donations made online, over the phone or in-person;
- to issue tax receipts, where applicable;
- to contact you for fundraising purposes;
- to process your volunteer application;
- to process your job application;
- to send you our newsletters, resources and other informational emails;
- to help you find the nearest Alzheimer Society or fundraising events near you;
- to send you by email or mail resources that may be of interest to you;
- to respond to your questions or comments over the phone, at our office or that you send through our Site or by email;
- to identify and contact you when you request our Services;
- to receive and process your online purchases of our products;
- to obtain your feedback regarding our Site and Services, including our surveys;
- to support our business functions such as internal business processes, marketing and advertising;
- to notify you about prizes or contests that you may have won through our Site and Services;
- to provide you access to your own account and registration pages, such as fundraising events; and
- to meet any legal or regulatory requirements.
3. When Do We Collect Personal Information?
We may collect your personal information when you voluntarily provide it to us by using our Services. For example, we may ask you to provide personal information if you:
- use our Site and our Services;
- make a donation through our Site, by mail, by phone or in-person;
- send us a question or comment by email, over the phone, at our office or through our Site;
- communicate with ASO representatives by phone or in person;
- create, register for, or participate in fundraising events such as Memory Makers for Alzheimer’s, Host a Coffee Break or Walk for Alzheimer’s;
- complete the volunteer application;
- apply for a job with ASO;
- post comments or messages on our Site, such as when you share your stories, experience and/or creative pieces on our Site;
- provide us with photos from ASO events;
- upload photos and videos when you create a fundraising event such as Memory Makers for Alzheimer’s;
- sign into your account or registration pages;
- sign up to receive our newsletter, resources and other informational emails;
- purchase a product from our Site;
- complete our surveys and other questionnaires for feedback; and
- otherwise participate in features of our Site that ask for personal information.
4. Limiting Collection of Personal Information
5. Use, Disclosure and Retention of Personal Information
- when necessary to protect the safety, property or other rights of ASO, its staff, representatives, volunteers and users of the Site, including to detect and prevent fraud;
- with the Alzheimer Society of Canada, the provincial Alzheimer societies, the Alzheimer societies in Quebec and the regional Alzheimer societies (i.e., the locally incorporated Alzheimer Societies in Ontario) (collectively the “Federation Partners”) which work together as a federation, including with ASO, to achieve a shared vision, mission and goals. ASO may provide your contact information to the Federation Partners which may contact you, including by e-mail, regarding their fundraising activities;
- when Canadian registered charities are sharing their donor lists for fundraising purposes, then ASO may share its list of donor or potential donors with these other Canadian registered charities solely for fundraising purposes;
- with your consent; or
- when otherwise required or permitted by law.
We retain your personal information only for as long as we need it to fulfill the purposes for which it was collected and to comply with our legal obligations. We conduct bi-annual reviews to ensure that we only retain the necessary information.
6. Data Processors in Other Country
To provide you with our Services, we may use service providers, data processors and other third parties (“Third Parties”) to perform services on our behalf. These Third Parties may store, process and transfer personal information on servers located outside of Canada in jurisdictions whose data protection laws may differ from those of Canada, such as the United States of America. As a result, personal information may be subject to access requests from governments, courts, or law enforcement in those jurisdictions according to the laws in those jurisdictions. For example, information may be shared in response to valid demands or requests from government authorities, courts and law enforcement officials in those countries. Subject to applicable laws in such other jurisdictions, we will use reasonable efforts to ensure that appropriate protections are in place to require our Third Parties to maintain protections on personal information that are equivalent to those that apply in Canada.
7. Links to Other Sites
8. Providing Payment Information on our Site
We use commercially reasonable efforts to select an appropriate company (i.e., BlackBaud, Inc.)(the “Payment Company”) to collect and process your online payment information. If you make a payment on our Site, such as when you make an online donation or purchase a product, the Processing Company will only request the information that is reasonably needed to complete the processing of your online payment. The Processing Company will collect your personal information directly from you, such as your credit card number and expiration date, and any other personal information necessary to process your payment (the “Payment Information”). Once your personal information is processed by the Processing Company, it will be transferred to a database that is managed by ASO. We may have access to the last four digits of your credit card number but will only access such information if required to provide you with our Services. If you have any questions or concerns about your Payment Information, please contact ASO at the contact information set out below and we will work with the Processing Company to address your questions and concerns.
9. Cookies, Web Beacons and Other Similar Technology
As you interact with this Site, we may use automatic data collection technology and services that record and collect information that identifies your computer, tracks your use of this Site and collects certain other information about you and your surfing habits. This data collection technology may include cookies, web beacons and other similar devices on this Site to enhance functionality and navigation for our visitors.
A cookie is a small data file that is placed on the hard drive of your computer so that your computer will “remember” information when you visit a site. Web beacons and tags are small strings of code that are used in conjunction with a cookie and allow us to record activity on our Site. Internet tags, graphic tags and similar web beacon type functions allow us to count the number of users who have visited a particular web page or to access certain cookies. We may use web beacons on this Site to count users and to recognize users by accessing our cookies. Being able to access our cookies allows us to personalize this Site and improve your experience at our Site. We may also include web beacons in HTML-formatted e-mail messages that we send to determine which e-mail messages were opened. Information tracked through these mechanisms includes, but is not limited to: (i) your IP address; (ii) the type of web browser and operating system being used; (iii) the pages of the Site a user visits; and (iv) other sites a user visited before visiting our Site.
You can set your Internet browser up so that you are notified when cookies are stored, you can decide in each individual case whether you want to accept cookies, or you can refuse to accept any cookies. However, if you do not accept cookies, you may be restricted in how you are able to use our Site. You can delete cookies which are already stored on your hard disk at any time. You will find more details on how to do this in the operating guide for your Internet browser program.
10. Browsing Information
11. Google Analytics
You can prevent Google Analytics from recognizing you on return visits to our Site by disabling cookies on your browser. Although you can set your internet browser to prohibit the installation of cookies, we must point out that some features and functions of our Site will then be unusable. By using our Site, you consent to the processing of data about you collected by Google in the manner described and for the above mentioned purpose. The consent for collection and storage of data can be withdrawn at any time in the future by clicking on the following link: https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout?hl=en.
Furthermore, we use the cookies to carry out frequency assessments, page usage assessments and marketing assessments. For the aforementioned assessments, we utilize this cookie information without a link to your personal information, so it remains anonymous.
We maintain technical, physical and administrative security safeguards to protect your personal information against loss, theft, and unauthorized access. Any personal information you provide to us is exchanged on a secure server. Unfortunately, no data transmission over the Internet can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. As a result, while we are committed to protecting your personal information, we cannot ensure or warrant the security of any information you provide to us.
We take reasonable steps to verify your identity before granting you access to your accounts on our Site, however, you are solely responsible for maintaining the secrecy of your usernames, passwords and any other account information. We also take reasonable steps to ensure that our employees and volunteers are aware of the importance of maintaining the confidentiality of personal information and that unauthorized persons do not gain access to personal information that we have disposed of or destroyed.
13. Individual Access and Accuracy of Personal Information
You may request access to your personal information which we may hold by contacting us at the contact information set forth below, and we will respond within the time periods provided for under applicable laws. We will need to verify your identity before providing you with the personal information we hold about you. There is no cost for such access request unless you require copies of records. We may not be able to provide you with access to your personal information if the information cannot be separated from the personal information of others, cannot be disclosed for reasons of security or commercial confidentiality, or is protected by legal privilege. If we cannot provide you with access to your personal information, we will advise you of the reasons access is being denied, unless we are prohibited by law from doing so.
You may request to update and change your personal information at the contact information set forth below. We shall endeavor to correct or complete any personal information which you advise us is inaccurate or incomplete. Where appropriate, the amended information shall be transmitted to third parties having access to such information. If you have any concerns about your payment information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or (416) 967-5900.
14. Children’s Privacy
We are committed to protecting the privacy of children and we do not knowingly solicit personal information from children under the age of 13 without parental or guardian consent. If a child has already provided us with personal information, his or her parent or guardian may contact us for the purpose of deleting this information.
15. E-mail Communications
We comply with Canada’s anti-spam legislation (CASL) and we will not send you electronic communications in contravention of this law. On our Site, we will request that you expressly consent to receiving electronic communications from ASO. We will ensure that each e-mail includes an opt-out feature and instructions on how to unsubscribe if you no longer wish to receive future e-mails from us. You can unsubscribe using the link included in the e-mail or by sending an e-mail to email@example.com or by telephoning us at (416) 967-5900. If you do not expressly consent to receiving electronic communications, we will only communicate with you for the limited purposes permitted under CASL.
16. Message Boards and User Content
If you post comments, videos, photos or other user content on our Site, you should know that when you voluntarily disclose your personal information on the Site, the information can be collected and used by other internet users. This may result in unsolicited messages from other posters or parties. We undertake no obligations as to the security of information you voluntarily post on our Site.
19. How to Contact Us
- see your personal information that you have already sent us so that you can correct, update or delete it from our files;
- if your child under 13 has used this Site and sent us personal information, delete that personal information from our files;
- ask that we not send you electronic communications or otherwise contact you; or
Please contact us at the following contact information and we will get back to you as soon as possible.
Legal Counsel, Director of Strategic Sourcing
Alzheimer Society of Ontario
Last Updated: 08/30/17