Why I Volunteer: Meet Sharon
1. Of all the places in Oxford County, why did you choose to volunteer with the Alzheimer Society of Oxford?
Good value on investment- to give a caregiver a few hours of relief from constant care of their relative/friend with dementia.
2. How long have you been a volunteer with the Alzheimer Society of Oxford?
3. What volunteer positions are you currently involved with at the Alzheimer Society of Oxford?
Volunteer Companion Program and helping with special events when needed.
4. What is your most memorable moment from volunteering with the Alzheimer Society of Oxford?
Listening to my match signing all the carols/hymns in the Intergenerational Choir. My match has difficulty with speech but is able to sing every song.
5. What impact has volunteering at the Alzheimer Society of Oxford had on you?
I have learned a lot with lectures, seminars and guest speakers about dementia. We have good social interaction between volunteers and staff. Staff are extremely well organized, upbeat, happy and helpful so we enjoy volunteering!
6. Is there anything you would like to say to encourage others to volunteer for the Alzheimer Society of Oxford?
It’s refreshing to get away from yourself for a few hours a week. Excellent policies and procedures in place to protect both volunteers and clients. Initial and ongoing education, support, safety and privacy.
Last Updated: 11/08/2017