Why I Volunteer: Meet Henry
1. Of all the places in Oxford County, why did you choose to volunteer with the Alzheimer Society of Oxford?
I was looking to do volunteer work after retirement and since my mother had Alzheimer’s disease I felt the Alzheimer Society would be the best fit for me.
2. How long have you been a volunteer with the Alzheimer Society of Oxford?
Approximately 15 years.
3. What volunteer positions are you currently involved with at the Alzheimer Society of Oxford?
Volunteer Companion, work on display booths, errands, set up for special events, shopping for office supplies, research presentations, phone calling and prepping mail (newsletters).
4. What is your most memorable moment from volunteering with the Alzheimer Society of Oxford?
Taking my match to Caressant Care Nursing Home where he joined a 92 year old resident and put on a jam session to entertain residents. My match played a harmonica, I played the bag pipes and the resident played a guitar.
5. What impact has volunteering at the Alzheimer Society of Oxford had on you?
It has been an important part of my life for many years. I have met many interesting people, made many friends and have felt a great deal of satisfaction in helping people and contributing to my community.
6. Is there anything you would like to say to encourage others to volunteer for the Alzheimer Society of Oxford?
Whatever you do as a volunteer is very worthwhile as the Society provides a great and needed service to many people in Oxford County. All volunteer work is greatly appreciated by the Society and clients and all volunteers are valued and treated well by the Society staff.
Last Updated: 11/08/2017