Why I Volunteer: Meet Heather
1. Of all the places in Oxford County, why did you choose to volunteer with the Alzheimer Society of Oxford?
My father was diagnosed with Alzheimer's in 2005. Since then my husband, my Aunt, and a cousin have received the diagnosis. The Oxford chapter has been a tremendous support to me and my family.
2. How long have you been a volunteer with the Alzheimer Society of Oxford?
I have volunteered since 2009
3. What volunteer positions are you currently involved with at the Alzheimer Society of Oxford?
I am on the ASOx Board of Directors, we are assisting with the new logic model for evaluation, Walk For Memories, and in the past A Changing Melody as well as speaking at volunteer get togethers.
4. What is your most memorable moment from volunteering with the Alzheimer Society of Oxford?
Walk for Memories is one of my favorite events. It is filled with hope and fun as well as some very poignant moments.
5. What impact has volunteering at the Alzheimer Society of Oxford had on you?
I have met the most amazing, caring group of individuals. There is such support for our family. It’s so important to know you are not alone on the journey.
6. Is there anything you would like to say to encourage others to volunteer for the Alzheimer Society of Oxford?
So many families benefit from the support. You never know when you will need it. It is an amazing opportunity. I believe you often get back more than you have given.
Last Updated: 11/08/2017