Why I Volunteer: Meet Debra
1. Of all the places in Oxford County, why did you choose to volunteer with the Alzheimer Society of Oxford?
A few years ago, my Dad had dementia. At that time, we didn’t know who to turn to for help. Since then, I’ve always been drawn to the Alzheimer Society because they provide support to those that have Alzheimer’s or dementia, as well as their families and caregivers. I use to drive by the Alzheimer office and think “I’d really like to work there”, and now I am.
2. How long have you been a volunteer with the Alzheimer Society of Oxford?
I’ve been volunteering since November 2014.
3. What volunteer positions are you currently involved with at the Alzheimer Society of Oxford?
I’m an office volunteer and I help with a variety of clerical duties, such as making phone calls, preparing for upcoming events, and updating educational and presentation materials.
4. What is your most memorable moment from volunteering with the Alzheimer Society of Oxford?
I was asked to volunteer at the Woodstock Walk for Memories. I was so excited that I was asked to help out. It was amazing to see all the people from the community come out and support this great cause. The “Lights of Hope” is part of this event, and it is a very touching experience. After being involved in the preparations for the WFM, it was great to see everything come together. I’m so proud to be involved in such an amazing event.
5. What impact has volunteering at the Alzheimer Society of Oxford had on you?
Volunteering has had such a positive impact on my life. Being involved and seeing the work that this organization does provides me with a great sense of pride. I love going there to help. The employees are friendly and they make me feel welcome. It’s been a great experience.
6. Is there anything you would like to say to encourage others to volunteer for the Alzheimer Society of Oxford?
If you have been thinking about volunteering and you are not sure where to start. I would definitely recommend the Alzheimer Society of Oxford. The staff is very friendly and professional. You will feel like part of the family. Being part of this organization gives you such a sense of belonging, and knowing that you are helping families in the community is very rewarding.
Last Updated: 11/08/2017