Information and referral
The Alzheimer Society of Peterborough, Kawartha Lakes, Northumberland & Haliburton is your first link to specialized dementia care services and support within our community.
First Link® Program
First Link® is your first step to living well with dementia. Whether you are living with Alzheimer's disease, another form of dementia, or supporting someone who is, First Link connects you to health services and information in your community, from the time of diagnosis throughout the progression of the disease.
First Link is about helping you and your family make informed choices so you can live better with dementia at every stage of the disease.
First Link is easy to access! When you give permission to your health care provider to share your information with the Client Support Coordinators at the Alzheimer Society, we will contact you directly. You can also give us a call. You will be linked to local health services and resources that best suit your situation. You will have access to Alzheimer Society programs and services to help you learn about dementia, talk about your concerns and live well with the disease.
Connecting with First Link means you can:
- Receive one-on-one or group support
- Be referred to local healthcare providers and community services
- Meet other people in similar circumstances and exchange experiences
- Get help to plan your future
First Link® is about bringing together Alzheimer Society staff, primary care physicians and other health professionals to make it easier for you to get the help you need.
Connecting you to information, support and services...
How we can help
The Society provides ongoing information and support for clients in the following areas:
- Understanding Alzheimer's disease and other dementias, including symptoms and progression
- Strategies for living well after diagnosis
- Understanding and interpreting healthy brain strategies
- Increasing safety for persons with dementia
- Reducing stress
- Dementia education for children, youth and other family members
- Navigating the health care system
- Understanding options for care and transition to Long Term Care
- Advanced Care Planning
- Research and advocacy
- Support and education for individuals and families, tailored to their unique situations
- Support visits can be made in the home or office
- Support and activity groups for persons with dementia and their care partners
- Friendly Visiting Program (Peterborough County only)
- Safely Home® Program
- Education for a variety of audiences, including those directly affected by dementia, professional and non-professional care partners, and community groups
- Library of resource materials
Our services are available at various locations throughout Peterborough City and County, the City of Kawartha Lakes, Northumberland and Haliburton Counties.
We are here to help you... from the beginning to the end of your journey.
Last Updated: 09/28/17