Why I Volunteer: Meet Amanda
1. Of all the places in Oxford County, why did you choose to volunteer with the Alzheimer Society of Oxford?
I know that Alzheimer’s affects many individuals, as well as their families. My family has been affected by dementia, so I was looking for a way to help out where I could.
2. How long have you been a volunteer with the Alzheimer Society of Oxford?
I have been a volunteer for about three years now.
3. What volunteer positions are you currently involved with at the Alzheimer Society of Oxford?
I have helped with three Walk for Memories events. I have also helped with receipting for the donations from the Walk for Memories for two years.
4. What is your most memorable moment from volunteering with the Alzheimer Society of Oxford?
I really enjoy getting involved with the Walk for Memories event at the Oxford Auditorium. I had a good time working at the incentive table. It was nice to see how hard the community had worked to collect donations, and I enjoyed handing out the grab bags and other prizes.
5. What impact has volunteering at the Alzheimer Society of Oxford had on you?
Volunteering has really opened my eyes as to how many people are affected by Alzheimer’s. I have also come to realize that it is a subject that is very close to many people’s hearts. It is so nice to see so many individuals raising money and volunteering their time to help out. It has been inspiring.
6. Is there anything you would like to say to encourage others to volunteer for the Alzheimer Society of Oxford?
The Alzheimer Society of Oxford is a fun place to volunteer. There are various opportunities available, from short term projects and events, to longer commitments such as becoming a volunteer companion. Unfortunately, Alzheimer’s affects a great number of people. It is nice to get involved and help out where you can! Knowing that you are helping to make a difference feels great too!
Last Updated: 05/11/15