What is Minds in Motion
Combining physical activity and mental stimulation, Minds in Motion unfolds to laughter and chatter, with new friendships forming and stories being shared.
- Minds in Motion participants have early to mid-stage signs of dementia* and are accompanied by their care partners.
- A maximum of 11 couples, or 22 participants, enrolled in each eight-week program
- Each pair pays a minimal registration fee (fees may vary by community).
The 2-hour program runs once a week, for 8 weeks, in a community-based program centre, and offers:
- Gentle and easy to follow physical activities.
- Fun social activities focused on building personal skills.
The program benefits
For the person with dementia:
- Improved balance, mobility, flexibility, and alertness
- Increased confidence, and comfort with their own circumstance.
For the care partners, it’s an opportunity to focus on their own health, rather than focusing on the needs of the person with dementia. Other benefits include:
- Seeing the person they are caring for enjoying themselves.
- Mutual support and learning from other care partners.
Together, the participating couple can benefit from:
- Sharpened mental functioning, sometimes lasting 2-3 days
- Reduced sense of isolation.
*Dementia is an umbrella term for a variety of brain disorders that include the following symptoms: loss of memory, judgment and reasoning, and changes in mood and behaviour. Minds in Motion is not a fitness program, a social recreation program or a drop-in program.