Community Connectors have a very interesting and important role to fill for the Alzheimer Society. This front line contact volunteer will become familiar to those in their community as one who can provide a direct link to information and services of the Society. As a community connector, the volunteer would be responsible for:
- assisting with the posting of notices about events being held by the Society in the community
- organizing Alzheimer Society brochures in local library, nursing and retirement homes and other appropriate locations
- forwarding media articles about Society events and volunteer activities and forwarding them to the Owen Sound office
- distributing kits and materials for campaigns in local community if required
- assisting staff with displays at local trade shows, health fairs etc.
- the Connector volunteer may also consider helping with local fund raising activities
- being the local Community Connector contact for the ASGB
Benefits: A personal feeling of satisfaction and accomplishment knowing they have helped the Alzheimer Society of Grey-Bruce to provide education or direct service to support individuals with AD or related dementias and their families. As well volunteers have the feeling of being an important part of the ASGB staff and volunteer team. Community Connector volunteers are welcome to avail themselves of educational workshops and presentations organized by the ASGB.
Accountability: The volunteer is accountable to the Volunteer Coordinator.
Time commitment: Minimum one year, then reviewed. The volunteer would work independently but be available to respond to seasonal demands.
Requirements: Community Connectors must have a good knowledge of their community and possess a genuine interest in providing referral information to those who may ask for assistance. The volunteer will be asked to be in touch with the office on a regular basis. Access to transportation would be helpful.
Training: An orientation to the Alzheimer Society will be provided and the volunteer will be asked to sign a confidentiality form and a volunteer agreement.
For more information contact our volunteer coordinator Jennifer Isber-Legge.
Last Updated: 02/01/17