You are now a partner in care with the staff. Your role is to inform, advise, recommend and encourage the best quality care for your family member.
- Get to know the staff and maintain regular contact.
- Find out about daily routines, programs and services. Obtain a calendar of activities and participate when you can.
- Attend care conferences, which occur six weeks after admission and then annually.
- Have realistic expectations. Differences from the care you gave are inevitable.
- Help develop the plan of care, which lays out a strategy for the resident’s needs.
- Day to day notes or a communication book in the room can ensure important information is passed on the staff on all three shifts.
- Participate in the Family Council where the day-to-day running of the home is discussed