Friendly Visiting Program
Program Goals & Purpose
- To provide trained volunteers to engage in meaningful activities with someone living with dementia in the community
- To provide an opportunity for caregivers to obtain some much needed personal time
- To increase the involvement in meaningful activities in the lives of individuals living with dementia
- To decrease social isolation of individuals living with dementia in the community
What to Expect
We ask that our volunteers spend a minimum of one hour per week with our friendly visiting clients. The times and dates when a volunteer visits will be established mututally between the person living with dementia, their care partners and the volunteer.
Qualifications of the Volunteer
- Complete our Volunteer Training program
- Clearance certificate through vulnerable sector police check
- Well motivated, compassionate and caring
- Committed to the position of Friendly Visitor for at least one year
- The volunteer is there to take on the role of the guardian or caretaker...
Truth: We encourage our volunteers to stay within their role as a Friendly Visitor.
- The volunteer must plan an elaborate outing each week...
Truth: We ask that the volunteer engage in a meaningful activity which can be something as simple as a conversation about the past.
- The volunteer is there to perform personal care for the client...
Truth: Our volunteers are not trained to do any personal care.
To learn how you can become a Friendly Visitor, contact:
Coordinator of Volunteer Programs
905-687-6856 ext. 544
Or complete our online volunteer application form and we will respond to you as soon as possible.
Last Updated: 11/08/2017