Why make your business dementia friendly?
As our society ages, more and more people with get dementia. But many will continue to live in the community. This will mean that more and more of your customers and potential customers will have dementia. You probably already have some customers with dementia.
Making it easier for people with dementia to use your service and supporting your staff to serve them has clear benefits. It will allow you to:
- Maintain existing customers who may have or be developing dementia
- Attract new customers
- Demonstrate your commitment to the community
- Be in compliance with the Ontario disabilities act
- To prevent delays by staff who are unsure how to best serve customers with dementia
Some problems people with dementia may encounter in your business include:
- Problems remembering what they are doing
- Difficulties in communicating clearly
- Problems handling money
- Problems navigating in complex or confusing environments
- Difficulty making decisions
- Inappropriate responses or behaviour
- Being anxious, crying or distressed
How staff respond to people who may be experiencing these kinds of problems makes the biggest difference.
Last Updated: 11/08/2017