First Link Dementia Helpline Volunteer
“Everyone says home is best, but there is not support out there for families like ours except First Link. When we call you you call us back, when we have questions you offer sound feedback. I don’t know what I would do without the First Link calls. They really help me.”
- First Link client
First Link Dementia Helpline Volunteer role:
The First Link Dementia Helpline is run by a dedicated team of volunteers who:
- Provide information and empathetic support to the general public on Alzheimer’s disease and other dementias
- Provide information on programs and services offered by the Alzheimer Society of B.C.
- Provide referrals to other services and agencies in the community
- Stay up-to-date and informed about the disease, caregiving issues and current research
1 year commitment or 150 phone hours; full attendance at extensive training program
- Gain skills in effective communication and support strategies
- Be a member of a small, dedicated team providing high quality service
- Be a first contact for people throughout British Columbia for support and information on Alzheimer’s disease and other dementias
- Learn about dementias and how to support those who have received a diagnosis
- Engage in opportunities for leadership, community service and personal/professional development
- References/reference letters may be provided to volunteers who have successfully completed 6 or more months in their position
- Good verbal communication skills, empathic listening skills
- A desire to learn more about dementia, and the resources and supports available to individuals with dementia and their families and caregivers
- Basic computer and phone skills
- Knowledge of Alzheimer’s disease and other dementias an asset
- Formal or informal caregiving experience is an asset
The Alzheimer Society of B.C. provides an excellent and comprehensive training program, including basic education about dementia and its causes, caregiving issues faced by families, and best practices in providing support by telephone.
Please fill out our online application form or email email@example.com.
Last Updated: 02/06/17