The Alzheimer Society Elgin-St.Thomas really could not do what we do to support people with dementia and their families and raise money to find a cure, without volunteers. We value your experience, your input, your enthusiasm and the opportunity to work with you. To find out how you can get involved please contact Society email.
Benefits of volunteering
Volunteers are people like you who want to make a difference in their community. When you become an Alzheimer Society Elgin-St.Thomas volunteer you have a chance to:
- Help make life better for those living with dementia
- Help improve the quality of community life
- Support a cause that you believe in
- Work with other members of the team to achieve a specific goal
Volunteering also helps you make a difference in your own life. You can:
- Use your professional skills in a new setting
- Meet other people who share your interests and passions
- Learn new skills and discover new talents
- Advance your career or gain experience and qualifications for future employment, scholarships, bursaries and academic programs
- Build your network and establish contacts in your field of interest
- Boost your health and reduce your stress
- Create a schedule that works for you
- Have fun!
Volunteer application form
If you would like to apply to become a volunteer, please download and fill in the Volunteer Application and submit it to the Alzheimer Society Elgin-St.Thomas.
VON Dementia Visiting Program
The Dementia Visiting Program offers the benefits of companionship to a person with cognitive challenges and/or dementia: conversations and visits that can be cultivated and enjoyed as there is often no apparent change in communication for someone in the early stages of Dementia. We have several clients waiting to enjoy the company of others: it can be as simple as going for coffee together, taking a walk or just enjoying a leisurely conversation with each other. As one client reported “It is nice to have someone come to the door for just me”. Contact the VON Middlesex-Elgin office at 519-637-6408
Last Updated: 03/14/17