What information does the Alzheimer Society collect?
The Society only collects personal information about donors, clients, volunteers and event participants, for fundraising, public education and advocacy purposes, program and service delivery, as well as to establish, maintain and manage our relationship with you.
(Personal information is any information about an individual. Personal information (e.g. name, address, age, credit card information, banking information) does not include information that cannot be associated with or tracked back to a specific individual. Information that is publicly available, such as a telephone book listing, is also not considered to be personal information.)
Your privacy is always respected. All information relating to your correspondence and contributions to the Alzheimer Society is held in the strictest confidence, and at no time is it shared with third parties without your prior consent. The information we collect includes:
- contact and identification information, such as your name, address, telephone number and e-mail address
- donation information such as date of gift, amount of gift, the campaign you contributed to, name of spouse or partner if it was a joint gift
- financial information such as your payment methods and preferences, billing and banking information (credit card number and expiry date or chequing account transit numbers, in order to process your donation); online financial transactions such as donations and event registrations, are processed using secure web transactions
- other personal information used for purposes that a reasonable person would consider appropriate in the circumstances (e.g. if you have demonstrated an interest in participating in fundraising events, we may send you information regarding other fundraising programs and services)
We may use some of your information in the following ways:
- for fundraising
- to process donations
- to respond to requests for services and information
- to inform you about Society activities
- to assist in the development of new programs, events, and services
- to provide donation recipients with summary or aggregate information about our donations, programs and services
- for internal research purposes
- to develop advertising based on donor preferences
Some of the information the Society collects is needed in order to satisfy the requirements of the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) (e.g. income tax receipts). There are also circumstances where the use and/or disclosure of personal information is justified or permitted without consent. These circumstances may include:
- where required by law or by order or requirement of a court, administrative agency or other governmental tribunal
- where the Society believes, upon reasonable grounds, that it is necessary to protect the rights, privacy, safety or property of an identifiable person or group
- where the information is already public
The Society keeps personal and financial information only as long as it is required, and in accordance with applicable federal and provincial regulations.
A cookie is a piece of data sent to your web browser and stored on your hard drive. Cookies help us improve our website by tracking and targeting the interests of our users as they visit different sections of our site. Cookies do not contain any personal information.
Cookies are used to remember your login information for the Message Board, if you choose to save it.
You can use the Society website without cookies, but you may have to re-enter information each time you visit.
Last Updated: 06/01/15