MedicAlert® Safely Home®
People with Alzheimer's disease or other dementias are no different than anyone else. They want to be able to move about freely and live as independently as possible. However, changes in the brain can cause people with dementia to lose the ability to recognize familiar places, to communicate or to remember their own name or address. They may leave home, become confused and get lost.
In our continued efforts to support people living with dementia, the Alzheimer Society of Canada is proud to partner with Canadian MedicAlert Foundation, a non-profit organization with more than 50 years’ of experience in providing a voice to Canadians in an emergency, to enhance the safety of people with dementia.
MedicAlert Safely Home is a nationwide program designed to help identify the person with Alzheimer’s disease who is lost and assist in a safe return home. Members receive an engraved identification which allows police and emergency responders to quickly identify the person who has wandered and bring the family back together.
With enrollment the member receives:
- Exclusive MedicAlert ID
- A comprehensive electronic medical profile with unlimited updates
- A 24-hour Emergency Hotline staffed with trained specialists available in 140+ languages – ready to speak for the member Family/emergency contact notification immediately after the hotline is called
- Follow-up with the caregiver after the Emergency Hotline is contacted
- A wallet card with health information and emergency contacts
- Access to an online electronic medical profile anytime, anywhere
For more information about the program and how to register call 1-855-581-3794 or visit www.safelyhome.ca.
Last Updated: 06/19/14