Holidays and the caregiver
If you’re a caregiver
Pacing yourself and setting aside some quiet time during the holidays is important for your well being and that of the person you’re caring for.
- Ask a friend or neighbour to help you with shopping or cooking a meal.
- Accept help if it’s offered to you.
- If you have children, assign them specific tasks and explain to them how much difference their help makes.
- Set realistic goals; ask yourself how urgent the task is.
- Congratulate yourself; recognize the work you do and how much you mean to the person you’re caring for .
- Use your local Alzheimer Society as your lifeline, if you need to talk to someone who understands the stress you are feeling.
- Find out what support is available in your community during the holidays.
Last Updated: 04/11/14