Make healthy lifestyle choices
Our ability to maintain life-long brain health is very much influenced by the choices we make in our daily lives. Research has found that next to aging, the most influential factors in determining one's susceptibility to Alzheimer's disease are lifestyle and environmental factors.
Healthy living tips
- Avoid harmful habits such as smoking, recreational drug use and excessive alcohol consumption.
- Track your health numbers: keep your blood pressure, cholesterol, weight and blood sugar within recommended ranges. If you have diabetes, it is important to manage it. All of these conditions increase your risk for Alzheimer's disease.
- See your doctor regularly to address specific health concerns including diet and physical activity.
- Get adequate sleep - sleep deprivation can significantly impair your memory, mood and function.
- For more great ways to take action on brain health, visit our BrainBooster® activity pages.
Note: Your abilities, health and interests should be taken into consideration when choosing brain healthy activities. If you have questions about your own situation, speak to your doctor or health care provider.
Last Updated: 02/28/17